Before you plan on deciding the lights that you want to buy for your room, ask yourself a question i.e. what is the purpose that you want to use your room for? Answering this question will help you greatly to choose the right kind of light. Numerous ways to lit a room are there, all you have to decide is the room’s function.
Natural Day Light-
The most economic source of light anywhere in world is Natural Day Light. One must make the most of it. And don’t forget that day light varies from time of the day, to what weather it is and the seasons. Setting sun light has a different feel than the midday sun. Best sources of Natural Day Light are the Roof Cuts, Windows and Balconies.
A directional light that is highlighting an object or some unique architectural feature in a room is Accent Light. Up lighters, Down lighters, Halogen spotlights mixed together are a good way to get this effect. Pictures, Paintings, Glass, Books etc are some exceptionally good spots to highlight.
As the word implies, it is used for performing the tasks. Light is focused on the task area and task light enhances the visual clarity and keep the eyes from straining. Daily activities like cooking, shaving, reading, sewing, putting make-up etc. as a rule need this type of lighting.
Also known as background lighting, it’s a source of light that washes a room with glow. It mainly plays the part of daylight in a room. Such light type flattens the interior and creates a very bland effect, very little shadow is created. However, by using some other type of lighting a good effect can be achieved.
• Place your desk right at least 1m away from the window, because direct light is quite intense.
• To maximize natural day light in your habitat, it’s imperative to trim the trees or bushes that overshadow the window.
• Hanging mirrors right opposite the windows increases the light in room.
• While buying an angle lamp, never compromise with the length of its stem.
• A visually small room can be enlarged just by illuminating one wall.